Saturday 15 March 2014

Week 9 Tips - The Making of The Troll Trap's Cover

Here's a quick article explaining how the cover for The Troll Trap was created.

Firstly, Katie hand drew all the illustrations for the inside of the book. We decided they would be best in black and white because of printing costs. Here are three examples:

 

Then, we thought about what would make a good cover. The book is called The Troll Trap, so we knew there had to be a troll on the cover. We narrowed it down to just the pictures with trolls in them. Eventually we decided that the illustration from Chapter 13 would make the best cover.

It's best to have a colour cover, so that it's eye-catching. Katie traced the outline and scanned it into her computer. She used a computer to colour and shade the illustration.


Katie sent the illustration to me by email. Using my computer, I created a file the size and shape of the book. I filled the background in with green, because it's troll-like. Then I pasted Katie's picture onto my cover.


Next I added text. I added the name of the book, my pen name, Katie's name and a note about my past books.


And there we have it - a colourful book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your first name, age and location/school when leaving a comment.